Saturday, November 3, 2007

Cleaning Shoes

You will be happy to know that the rains have stopped. I was getting pretty sick of it for a while there, but now we are enjoying beautiful weather. I hardly ever smell mildew anymore… except when I walk near the shoe rack. To combat that, today I’m soaking my sneaks in a bath of bleach water to get them ready for the States. C.J. doesn’t want to clean his… he is planning to buy new ones in VA and just chuck the old.

I have recently realized that the Nicas clean their shoes a lot. I could never figure out why my clothes soaking bucked was always full of really muddy water when I went to wash the clothes, but then last week Alejandra ran ahead of me to dump it out and mentioned that Jeni was just washing her shoes. Of course, she may have told me this 20 times before, and I just didn’t understand until now. Either way, it makes sense... and all the Nicas probably think the gringos are really gross for wearing their muddy shoes. I kind of take the approach that ¨well, they´re just going to get muddy again,¨ but you can always say that, I guess. I’m just glad that the rainy season is over and that the roads, and my shoes, get a chance to dry out.

Two weekends ago, all the volunteers were thinking of taking a trip to somewhere new in Central America to have an adventure and renew our Visas. We ended up canceling the trip, because of the hassle and especially because of all the rain we’d had lately. Instead, C.J. and I went to EstelĂ­ for the day. We had read in our tour book that there was a really cool museum called Estelimar which has dinosaurs made out of car parts that are operated by solar energy.

Well, after 4 or 5 sets of crappy Nicaraguan directions and 45 minutes of walking, we found ourselves with our shoes and pants caked in mud up to our ankles and with Estelimar nowhere in sight. Finally we gave up and flagged a taxi who charged us about 10 times what he should have to drive us two minutes down the road to the museum (gringo pricing!) When we finally got there we found 6 or 7 rusty old dinosaurs with rinky-dink simple machines that ¨operate¨ them. And let me tell you about the solar powered one… yeah, it was a triceratops with a solar panel on its back and lights for eyes. When you turn it on, the eyes light up… freakin´ fascinating!
So that was a waste, fortunately, on the way back we were able to hitch a ride in a truck bed and avoid the massive road lakes. That was really nice, but then it proceeded to rain the rest of the day. My shoes still haven´t recovered… thus, the bleach bath.