Monday, July 16, 2007

Packing & Anticipating

We have less than two weeks left in the US! We've been planning for our trip since February (actually longer), but it still seems like there is a lot to do.

We spent all last weekend packing up the house, and I am amazed at the number of boxes we've filled. We made good progress though, there are just a few odds and ends left. We are bringing a total of 8 bags to Nicaragua with us: 2 checked bags, 1 carry on, and 1 book bag each. Fortunately C.J. is "silver medallion," so 2 of our checked bags can be 70 lbs. C.J.'s tools are really heavy though, so we'll see how that goes. It was really hard for me to narrow down my clothing selection - I really wanted to bring all my pretty skirts :-( C.J. had to remind me a few times that we won't be "going out" down there.

It is hard for me to explain my anticipation of the trip. I am just overwhelmed by the whole idea right now. It is kind of like when C.J. and I went sky diving... I wasn't scared when we spent all day waiting for the clouds to clear, I wasn't scared when we put on the gear & practiced our form, I wasn't scared when we got into that tin can of a plane, and I wasn't scared as we climbed to 10,000 feet. I thought I wasn't scared, but when I got to the edge of the door and it was time to jump, the instructor had to pry my hands off the doorway and drag me out. I don't know when it's going to hit me, and I guess I can't think about it now because there's too much else to do. Well, I guess you'll soon find out - keep us in your prayers.